I am a Canadian citizen; born and
raised in this great country. My parents, and their parents, and their parents;
born and raised in this great country. I have two beautiful sons and guess
what? Yep; born and raised in Canada.
In 2003 I began a very special
relationship with a young man from New Zealand.
We fell in love after communicating only online, and after only a few
months. It’s a long and beautiful story. Unfortunately, the distance between us
was too great and because we were in our early twenties we did not have the
means to travel and meet one another even though that was our only heart’s
desire.
Eventually we both became involved in other relationships and we would
go through periods of time where contact between us was minimal. However we
always found our way back to one another and I believe the reason none of my
other relationships worked in the past is because I never fully let go of
Blair. I knew we were meant to be together and that he was my soul mate.
In 2013 – ten years after we first fell in
love with each other, Blair finally made it happen. We knew we had to be
together. He quit his job, moved out of his home, packed up all of his possessions and flew to me. I met him at Pearson International airport on
February 2nd, 2013. The feeling I had when I saw him approaching me
for the first time – there are no words. I ran to him; in 5 inch heels. We didn't even say hello – we hugged and kissed. It was right out of a Hollywood
movie.
Not long after, I became pregnant
with our son Dexter. It was a surprise to say the least as we were using
contraceptives, and even though it happened much sooner than we would have
opted for, we knew that we wanted baby Dexter and that he was meant to be.
Blair purchased a home here in
Canada, a lovely home in a quiet small town called Dorchester Ontario. It is perfect for our family and is filled
with a lot of love. Sadly, nowadays, it is filled with stress, struggle, and
uncertainty. Blair is no longer able to work here as his work visa has expired.
No; he didn't let it expire, he had applied to have it extended while we
patiently wait for his permanent residency to go through. They denied the
request.
There
is a major flaw in the way that the Canadian
immigration laws are set up and I would like to see someone really point it out
to the public. If a foreigner gets a temporary work permit to work in Canada
for whatever reason, married or common law partner and any dependants are
allowed to accompany that person and will be given a no questions asked open
work permit. However, if a foreigner is with a Canadian citizen by birth they
can’t get that same open work permit.
Really, Canada??!!
Canadian
immigration has been horrible for my fiancé to deal with. He has spoke with
several representatives and each time is he been given different answers often
answers which contradict one another. I'm embarrassed. I'm confused.
We totally understand and
support Canada’s position on protecting Canadians by requiring the labour
market impact assessment and not just handing out work permits to anyone who
comes along. But he is not just someone who decided he wanted to live in
Canada. He has me. He has a son and step son, a family, a life. I can tell you
if I didn't have a son from a previous marriage, we probably would have left
Canada for New Zealand and I highly doubt I would be having this extreme amount
of stress just to be able to work.
Blair sent his permanent residence
application as soon as he could and if the application process in Canada didn't have such a ridiculous wait time he might have already passed the first stage
approval and might already be eligible for an open work permit on that basis.
Right now we have a
mortgage, credit card bills, $30,000 in legal fee’s, a $20,000 line of credit that is near
maxed out, on top of car payments and insurance, the cost of raising children,
food, utilities, etc but with only my small income to cover everything. Its
hard enough to put food on the table. I can’t do it alone!!!!! I can barely
sleep with the amount of stress I feel every day and I pray nothing comes up
unexpectedly – a dental appointment, a vehicle needing repair…because our
resources are next to exhausted.
So what is next? Blair is forced to leave us
to make money in New Zealand meanwhile we lose our house and I file for
bankruptcy? So their “policies and procedures” aren't just affecting the foreigner any more, they are potentially catapulting me, a Canadian citizen and
two Canadian children, into ruin… and through no fault of our own. Blair has done everything by the books and
has gone above and beyond what CIC has asked of him. He’s provided the hundreds upon hundreds of
documents required, and forked over tons of money.
Listen, we weren't expecting
this to be easy. We were expecting it to be fair.
No comments:
Post a Comment